SAMHSA funds support and enhance the CMHR through the development of State outreach and community-based efforts, mental health education and social inclusion activities. Awards support State efforts to promote and expand the campaign. Specifically, they are used to provide State consumer organizations with infrastructure development for campaign implementation through needed technical assistance and training and provide resources to educate, maintain, and expand statewide activities to support the campaign's social inclusion efforts.
Through a selective award process in 2007 and 2008, 23 organizations received awards for their projects.
The ADS Center conducted community-wide teleconference forums on April 16, 2008 (April 16th Forum) and May 14, 2008 (May 14th Forum) to provide the CMHR community with an opportunity to learn about the twelve organizations implementing CMHR support activities through the 2007 state implementation awards.
Each forum featured six of the twelve 2007 CMHR Awardees.
April 16th Forum
Access the April 16, 2008 archived recording of the first awardee forum called "Innovative CMHR Strategies: At School, On the Web, At the Beach" by following the instructions below:
- Dial 1-888-844-1786
- Once prompted enter playback code: 256730
- Mary Lynn Kagan - United Advocates for Children and Families
- Deborah Cavitt - Minnesota Association for Children's Mental Health
- Patrick Hendry - Florida Peer Network
- Laura Hollinger - Mental Health Association of Central Florida
- Molly Cisco - Grassroots Empowerment Project Inc.
- Michelle Miller - South Caroline SHARE
May 14th Forum
Access the May 14, 2008 archived recording of the second awardee forum called "Effective Strategies for Direct Contact- Using Art and Multimedia Approaches" by following the instructions below:
- Dial 1-888-844-1786
- Once prompted enter playback code: 259972
- Mike Wood - Mental Health Association of Siouxland
- Cynthia Keele - NAMI Missouri
- Linda Kiva - Mental Health Client Action
- Heather McDonald - Focus on Recovery, United, Inc.
- Ann Benner - Virginia Organization of Consumers Asserting Leadership, Inc.
- Bud Bowles - United Self Help